Completing Your RtI Model—Intensify the Effectiveness of Your Interventions
Tier 1—Intervention in the Everyday Classroom
Adding Don Johnston solutions to the general education classroom gives you the supplemental tools you need to provide the quality instruction required for Tier 1. When students have access to multiple learning strategies using our software, audio, video and print solutions, you will proactively prevent student failure and help students thrive in reading and writing skills. Students have opportunities to quickly take advantage of their unique learning style.
In RtI models, our reading and writing solutions can be used in any classroom computer or lab environment, media center or extended learning program. You also ensure that your school libraries and classrooms have paperback books available to provide take-home and extended reading practice that all struggling learners require to be successful.
Don Johnston solutions in Tier 1 will help you:
- Provide access to, and progress in, the general education curriculum
- Differentiate instruction
- Apply Universal Design for Learning (UDL) to traditional strategies
- Front-load learning to increase students success
Tier 2—Strategic Intervention
The key to Tier 2 is to rapidly identify an intervention strategy and take action.
Here, you can utilize Don Johnston solutions used in Tier 1 by increasing the intensity and time students have on reading and writing tasks.
You can introduce students to more supports and scaffolds within the software for intensive practice. Formative data keeps you apprised of the student’s progress and whether he/she is responding to a particular intervention.
Use Don Johnston solutions in Tier 2 to:
- Enable students to work independently or with others during extra practice
- Increase scaffolds to provide the right level of support
- Connect to the curriculum to improve specific skills
- Collect valuable formative data to monitor student progress
Tier 3—Customized Learning Intervention
As smaller percentages of students require yet more intensity in their instruction and practice, our solutions have the flexibility to provide very specialized supports for the most severe learning difficulties.
We also offer professional development services and products to help your teachers work more closely with students using Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and other research-based integration strategies for our solutions.
Implement Tier 3 interventions that will:
- Maximize resources to allow student-driven practice with skill-building assignments
- Provide accommodations that give students the intense, individualized literacy supports for use throughout the school day and beyond
- Ensure literacy success
Formative Data – Monitor Benchmark Goals
As data demonstrates the need for students to have extra reading and writing practice, our literacy intervention solutions help you increase the time and intensity in which students utilize the interventions.
Built-in data collection lets you acquire reading and writing data each time your students use our technologies. You won’t need to take extra time to administer an assessment—it is automatically collected when students take end-of-chapter quizzes, fluency practice activities or write essays. Just analyze the data and correlate to your district benchmarks to monitor progress and determine your students’ response to the intervention.